Monday, February 11, 2019

Por Tu Maldito Amor.

The Vicente Fernandez song “Por Tu Maldito Amor” (translated as "By Your Damned Love") is one of his most popular songs ever. This 1989 song became the anthem for drunken sorrow nights for our fathers, uncles, friends and ourselves of course. When our main man Chente begins the song, it hits us right in the heart. We remember our past loves and the pain that inflicted when it ended so sad. We fill this void in our hearts with copious amounts of alcohol and the music of Vicente Fernandez. This legendary man knew heavy emotions very well and sang his heart out to prove this. God how us Mexicans & Mexican/Americans love him. After the much success of Por Tu Maldito Amor on the charts, it was only natural to make the epic song into a movie since Vicente Fernandez was still acting. However though, this would be the movie before his last.

A man named Ernesto (Vicente Fernandez) has come back home after a long time working in the jungles. Everyone in town thought Ernesto & others died in an accident out there, but Ernesto miraculously survived. His girlfriend Alicia thinking Ernesto passed on, has fallen for another man. When Ernesto finds Alicia with her new lover, they get into a fight and Ernesto accidentally gets him killed with a ceiling fan to the throat. Ernesto is encouraged to run away because Alicia’s lover just happens to be a cousin of the town’s mayor and will more than likely get him killed. Ernesto then heads out of town being chased hard by the mayor’s people, but despite the various obstacles, he succeeds in running away.

Ernesto, injured, settles in a ranch belonging to a woman named Angela (Sonia Infante). Angela finds the injured Ernesto and instantly becomes attracted to him. He basically becomes her rebound after finding out her irritable younger sister Elvira (Claudia Fernandez) has taken her potential husband away from her. Once Ernesto settles in Angela's ranch as a worker, he can’t help himself to being attracted to both sisters. When Ernesto and Angela get married, Elvira becomes enraged in jealousy because she feels she has to have anything her sister has, this includes men as well. Elvira eventually seduces Ernesto and they begin an intimate relationship in secrecy.

Oh, how this movie has so much drama! Steamy drama! Maybe in my younger days I would of been whatever about Por Tu Maldito Amor, but after much growing up, doomed relationships and nights of drunken sorrows, I see the appeal in Por Tu Maldito Amor. Por Tu Maldito Amor may seem like any other Chente drama, but this movie tells a really solid story of romance & lust. It’s a movie you’ll sink into right away because everything about is immediately very interesting. From the story, to the settings and even the music of course. Vicente Fernandez sings a few songs out & about and Super Grupo Colombia also provide some music in the local nightclub where everyone hangs out at.

I also of course have to mention the cast and the characters they portray whom are all amazing. Vicente Fernandez gives a believable performance as Ernesto, a man who feels strongly for the women he loves and knows when he’s wrong & when he’s right. In the end of the movie, he knows what destiny has set for him and he takes it like a man. Puro Hombre. Sonia Infante plays the strong but emotionally weak Angela. Throughout the movie, Angela appears so strong and even wants one of her workers murdered for stealing from her. Then later on we eventually see what’s behind this strong woman and she just wants to settle down with a nice man, but has a hard time finding one and she’s not getting any younger as well, so she feels hopeless about this. When she thinks she’s found a potential husband, her greedy younger sister Elvira steals him away from her.

Speaking of Elvira; she was my favorite character of the movie for sure. Elvira is also very strong as her sister is and she works hard as well. While she appears very strong; she’s also quite sensitive as her sister is, but she’s a straight up sociopath as well. She seems to do whatever she pleases and seems to not care what anyone thinks or feels. When she realizes Ernesto is attracted to her, she teases him & even bullies him into kissing him. This of course leads to them getting together in secrecy & leading to a tragic end. I also can’t forget to mention the scene where Ernesto and Angela are making passionate love and in the room next door Elvira lays in her bed touching herself to this, but imagining it's herself that is making it with Ernesto. A peculiar scene for sure, but it gives an idea of how uneven Elvira is and how much she lusts for her own sister's husband.

Por Tu Maldito Amor is an interesting watch. While it may appear like any other drama, this one has a really solid story. You’ll sink right in once Chente appears on the screen and all the heavy emotions come a comin’. I recommend to watch it with a close one. Be it family, friends or a significant other. Invite them over for some drinks and relax with this movie on.


Music Video:

The day that I found you I fell in love

You know that I've never negated it

Healthily you managed to drive me crazy

And I fell into your trap with illusion
Soon all of that was over

You failed on the promise of adoring each other

You drowned me in oblivion for believing

That to you the years would never come

by your damned love

I cannot stop all these pains

I'd like to burst to even the vains

by your damned love

by your damned love

by your damned love I don't manage to comfort my feelings

And my soul continues to consume me

by your damned love

by your damned love

I don't want you ever to come back, no

I prefer defeat amidst my hands

If yesterday I pronounced your name so much

Look at me today destroying my lips

by your damned love

I cannot stop all these pains

I'd like to burst to even the vains

by your damned love

by your damned love

by your damned love I don't manage to comfort my feelings

And my soul continues to consume me

by your damned love

by your damned love

by your blessed love